Careers Education, Information, Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) at Valley Gardens Middle School.
We are actively engaging with the nationally respected Gatsby Benchmarks http://www.gatsby.org.uk/education/focus-areas/good-
career-guidance and welcome any input from parents and carers.
The Gatsby Benchmarks provide the structure to our growing careers
programme which aims to give all our pupils the advice and guidance they
need to make informed decisions about their futures.
How is the careers provision assessed at Valley Gardens?
● Termly review of the school’s achievement of the Gatsby
Benchmarks, with Careers Lead (Mr Jonathan Roys) and SLT link
(Mr Matthew Hope) Evidence is recorded, progress against the
benchmarks is tracked, and used to inform planning for the
following academic year.
● Employers and External providers delivering sessions to pupils
provide feedback throught NTLT regarding relevant knowledge
and attitude of children.
● Evaluations by staff and pupils following any Employer or External
provision to ensure only high quality sessions are repeated.
● The Careers Lead and SLT link meet to assess and improve the
quality of current provision and effectiveness of future provision.
The school careers policy is reviewed to ensure it is fit for purpose.
Pupils, parents, staff and employers can access this document to get an
overview of the current provision and to find out more about careers at
Please keep checking here, and follow the School twitter feed for updates
to careers news and further advice. The twitter feed will retweet helpful
information for parents and pupils too. Please get in touch if you have anything to offer our CEIAG programme, particularly our Career’s Day in Year 8
Other Useful Careers Links:
● The National Careers Service (including a free chatline) – Click
● Tyne and Wear Connexions service (local advice) – Click Here
● iCould (careers videos) – Click Here
● Job Centre Plus (job hunting and applying) – Click Here
● Apprenticeships (apprenticeships and traineeships) – Click Here
● Labour Market Northeast (shifts and trends) – Click Here
An overview of our careers program can be downloaded here: